Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The Bigger Picture..

Its 51 degrees here in NYC as I write tonight in my warm bed.. I think of the thousands back home in Pakistan who had lost their homes because of the flooding earlier this year and they sit alone under the sky in this cold night! Do we owe anything to them, to our motherland, to our people? And if so, what? Just words, few dollars or a life long commitment to make it a better world for them, for us or for human race?! How can we make a difference in their lives? A friend of mine reminded me today the saying of Prophet Mohammad (PBUH) 'one should not go to sleep at night if his neighbour is hungry'.  And how many sleepless nights have we spent? There are so many questions that it is mind boggling.. So where do we start?  'Charity is a duty unto every Muslim (rather every person in this world!). He who hath not the means thereto, let him do a good act or abstain from an evil one. That is his charity!'

So lets start..  lets start at home, right now, right here! Lets donate generously for our people in Pakistan. And lets make a pact that we will not let our soul go to sleep until every man, woman and child in this world is safe! Lets abstain from violence!

Lets make this a better world for ourselves and for our children!


Severe flooding in Pakistan - The Big Picture - Boston.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Admirable!

Anonymous said...

I write sitting in a warm, heated room as bitter cold winds slap against my windows but I think about thousands of our kids still twittering on the banks of Indus.

The quote from Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) is thought provoking as it challenges me to pick myself up from a my comfort zone and help my fellow humans. Its totally worth if we can bring smile to the face of one mother or one child.

I have a small quote that has always helped me keep my feet on the ground that you might like.

"Sometime in your life, hope that you might see one starved man, the look on his face when the bread finally arrives. Hope that you might have baked it or bought or even kneaded it yourself. For that look on his face, for your meeting his eyes across a piece of bread, you might be willing to lose a lot, or suffer a lot, or die a little, even." ~Daniel Berrigan

Thanks for being a wonderful human. The best legacy that we can leave for our children and our mother nature....is to provoke others to take action on causes ignored by the masses. There is hope as you know very well that "impossible is nothing, impossible is a word created for weak humans who like to hide behind their fears and in-competencies"