Friday, January 7, 2011

Speak

If they snatch my ink and pen,
I should not complain,
For I have dipped my fingers
In the blood of my heart.
I should not complain
Even if they seal my tongue,
For every ring of my chain
Is a tongue ready to speak.
Faiz Ahamd Faiz
translated by Azfar Hussain

Indeed it is a time of great sorrow for Pakistan, not because Salman Taseer was gunned down... but more so because insane people are killing in the name of religion... Islam.. the most peacful religion there is to be.. has been turned into the most feared of all. One word out of your mouth 'Muslim' or 'Islam' and there is only one word that comes to mind of any being nowadays.. 'terrorists'.. And believe it or not we are all letting this happen to us because we are getting scared to raise our voice... the voice of reason, justice, and of sanity. I ask one question, hasn't Pakistan seen enough wars and atrocities to merge into one nation to fight the wrong?!

Since 1947, Pakistan has been going through a turmoil but time and again we have proven that we can still make a difference in this country. Salman Taseer, Faiz Ahmad Faiz, Benazir Bhutto and many others gave up their life in exile or in person fighting for a cause.. they were not afraid! Salman Taseer's last tweeted words "My resolve is so strong that I do not fear the flames from without, I fear only the radiance of the flowers, that it might burn my garden down" (Shakeel Badayuni).

The brutal murder of Salman Taseer is an act of cowardness and treachery. It shows that for certain group of people there is no reason rather just pure fanatisim, they are living in lie, dishonesty and misery.. how else can you justify killing another being?! We should pity such individuals and groups yet not give up to their aberration. Lets not be bogged down by this incident.. let this be an awakening call for all of us or atleast for the edcuated people or those with a heart and soul. Its time to raise your voice against tyranny as that is the right thing to do and lets do it when we have time, for it is time NOW!!!

Speak
(Faiz Ahmad Faiz)
Translated by Azfar Hussain

Speak, your lips are free.
Speak, it is your own tongue.
Speak, it is your own body.
Speak, your life is still yours.

See how in the blacksmith's shop
The flame burns wild, the iron glows red;
The locks open their jaws,
And every chain begins to break.

Speak, this brief hour is long enough
Before the death of body and tongue:
Speak, 'cause the truth is not dead yet,
Speak, speak, whatever you must speak.

5 comments:

Arshia said...

Nisaar main Teri galiyoun ke ai watan ke jahan, chali hai rasm ke koi na sar utha ke chalay........

Kashaf said...

Touche'

Anonymous said...

Everyone can understand that you are upto date with the news. I would question you of your contribution in making a difference. Easy to blog from Million miles away than being on the ground zero. Aren't you unhappy leading a single life here without a purpose. You will be a better fit there.

Kashaf said...

I believe I am doing more for my country being here in the US.. I don't like to flaunt my contributions as that's not what its all about! However if u would like to contribute as well pls drop me a line at kashafs@hotmail.com and would share.
And no not unhappy rather very happy with my life. Almighty has been very kind to me so no complaints!!!

Anonymous said...

Are you in a relationship? Don't worry I'm married and thus not interested but can refer you someone really nice who may be. So Let me know?

Regarding my contributions....I believe I'm doing a lot for my country. You can only see and understand the pain once you are actually on ground. When was last time you went back to Pakistan and what was your experience?